Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Cacti: Ping is "up" but Device status is "down"

This a simple solution to a problem on ping availability detection in Cacti. Commonly, you notice that when you use the ICMP ping for downed detection, cacti can ping the host but still, it displays "down" under the Devices. You may have tried already changing other parameter such as UDP or ICMP Ping to no avail, but the simple solution is pertaining to file permissions on spine.

Change the spine permission as follows

#cd /usr/local/spine/bin
#chmod a+s spine

You may run poller.php manually from your cacti root folder if you can't wait your cron cycle to run poller.php. You may see your device status as "Recovering" after running the poller.php.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! Worked for me on Ubuntu, however the directory is this instead:

    /usr/sbin/spine

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both for this!
    I use Ubuntu as well. and it worked just fine now

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I applied the permissions that you say and the status of the devices is up now, but the graphic of latency its death, what it the meaning of this behavior? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been beating my head against the wall...this fixed that problem! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic post, thank you so much. This has fixed my Cacti install for testing all the cable modems my company uses. Many thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, cool. it fix the problem but change this permission make localhost graph become empty. any solution?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same as you. I have rolled back changes so localhost graphs work. I still need solution for my host showing as down.

      Delete